Did you know that an owner-builder takes on all the risks and responsibilities of a registered building practitioner? Before you decide to do-it-yourself, get the facts on being an owner-builder.
- Fact: Owner-builders must obtain a Certificate of Consent for any domestic building work with a value over $12,000 in order to obtain a building permit.
- Fact: Owner-builders can only obtain a building permit for one home in a three year period.
- Fact: Owner-builders can not build for a profit (rent or sale).
- Fact: Owner-builders must be an owner of the land/property (must have their name on the Certificate of Title). Further information can be found on the Land Titles Office website (Certificates of Titles/Register Search Statements). Visit www.land.vic.gov.au.
- Fact: Owner-builders must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the property, and must carry home owner warranty insurance.
See also http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/www/html/2004-restrictions.asp
Last update: 2010-12-21 02:06
Author: Vic Vrsecky